Cookie Consent by Free Privacy Policy Generator
A large mural created by young people of York in care.

Where you live

A foster carer is someone who looks after other people’s children when they have to live away from home.

All sorts of people can be foster carers. They can be married and unmarried couples, or they could be single.

You will live with them in their own home and they may have other foster children or children of their own living with them too.

Top of page

A children’s home is where the staff are employed to look after you.

The same staff do not live with you all day, but there will always be staff there to take care of you.

Top of page

Having a connected carer means you will be cared for by somebody within your family who has agreed to be your carer and has been assessed as being able to meet your needs.

This is usually a relative within your birth family but on occasions it may be a close family friend.

Top of page

Occasionally, young people are placed with carers or in a home outside of York. If this happens children's social care at the City of York Council is still responsible for you and your care.

You will still have a social worker from York and you can still ask for support from Speak Up.

Top of page

All homes have rules, they are there to help you and the people you live with to get along together and feel safe.

Rules may include what time you need to be home at night, or how you use the internet, for example. These rules are in place to help keep you safe.

Your foster carer/key worker and social worker will explain the rules where you live so that you understand.

Top of page

You will usually get your own bedroom.

In some circumstances you may need to share a room with other children and young people, but only if it is decided this is appropriate.

Top of page

You will have somewhere to keep your clothes and other things that are important to you.

Your foster carer/key worker will have an allowance to buy you clothes.

If there are other things you need, speak to your foster carer/key worker or social worker.

Top of page

If you're old enough you will get pocket money. This is for you to spend on extra things for yourself.

Pocket money should be arranged with your carers when you first move in. You can talk to your social worker if this does not happen.

Top of page

There are lots of different religions practised in the UK and your social worker and foster carer/key worker will assist you in locating your nearest mosque, church, temple, synagogue, gurdwara, or other place of worship.

Please let them know if there is anything else you need to enable you to practise your religion.

Top of page

Your foster carer/key worker will ensure you have food. Make sure they know if you have any food allergies or any specific dietary needs.

Feel free to tell them about the food you prefer to eat, and they will try to find it for you. If you would like more, make sure to tell your foster carer/key worker.

Top of page